Find a contractor with a good reputation, and who can deliver the highest quality home. Find a builder who will listen and work with you. When interviewing your contractor or home builder make sure to ask really good questions to ensure that you are both on the same page. It is important to realize that you are building a relationship where both of you (in addition to your interior designer) will be working together to complete the common goal of turning your home design into reality.
Make sure to ask them questions!
- How many projects have they completed?
- What have their previous clients said about the builder (ask for references)?
- Check out to see if they have reviews or comments online at
Angie’s List, Yelp.com and the Better Business Bureau. Or, just try Googling their name.
- How long will it take to complete my project?
- When will you be able to start my project?
- Will you provide all of the required permits?
- Do you offer, and what are the critical factors in evaluating a warranty?
- Who oversees the construction, and who will I keep in contact with throughout the building process?
- Who employs the construction crew, and what subcontractors will you be working with?
- How often will I have access to the home during the building process?
- Who will manage the project?
- When will I be able to see a project time line?
- How did you come up with your estimate?
- What materials are included in the estimate?
- How do I pay you? Check, Credit Card?
In addition to asking these questions, be sure to listen to your gut. If a particular estimate is really low, chances are that the contractor is going to try and cut corners, or that they will come back later in the project and ask for more money. At a minimum, we recommend getting at least 3 estimates.