Designing a Small Kitchen with Style
This past spring when we were asked to redesign the kitchen of a 2-bedroom cottage in Evanston, we were thrilled! While on the phone, the client warned us that the space was “small” and was concerned that we wouldn’t be able to do much with the space. We welcomed the challenge.
What We Did
Building a beautiful and functional kitchen in this size of space requires lots of planning, hiding appliances where possible, and a little creativity with drywall thickness, allowing us to gain a 1/4″ here and a 1/2″ there.
Some other features of this kitchen are:
- Inset doors in an Eggshell paint finish with a Pewter Glaze from Shiloh cabinetry.
- Beautiful Bianco Romano granite countertops.
- Cast iron undermount sink, with oil rubbed bronze faucet fixtures.
- Hidden spice rack located to the right of the sink.
- Hidden Bosch dish washer.
- Slide-out, low-profile hood from Best by Broan.
- 30″ Stainless Steel cook top and stove from Thermador.
- Side-by-side refrigerator from Bosch.
- Microwave hidden within the pantry to conserve countertop space for an item that isn’t used all that often.
- Beautiful maple hardwood floors that match the color of the rest of the house.
- Clean Lutron Diva switches and outlets.