This Logan Square couple wanted us to design a master bedroom for them that would give them a peaceful place to relax and fully utilize the small amount of space they had.
This customer had transitional design tastes with a touch of rustic modern. We wanted to take advantage of their style and mixed different materials to design an interesting yet refined bedroom.
What We Did
We selected all of the furniture, window treatments, artwork, and accessories in the space. The only thing that stayed from the original space was the hardwood floors.
- To set the tone of the bedroom, we painted the walls a neutral brown.
- White faux wood blinds were added to the casement windows to add privacy, control and minimize heat loss during the frigid winter months.
- A queen sized bed with upholstered headboard (and no footboard) is the centerpiece of the room. Since there wasn’t enough floorspace for a footboard, we selected a bed that had fabric rails.
- Flanking both sides of the bed are a matching pair of nightstands with a rough wood finish and oil-rubbed bronze steel legs. These helped to bring in the rustic-modern feeling.
- Beautiful matching nightstand lights that are wall mounted provide plenty of light for nighttime reading and don’t take up any extra nightstand space. They also help to draw the eye up the wall and make the space feel bigger.
- A light-blue wool rug provides comfort (and warmth) underfoot and also helps to muffle the sounds of other neighbors in the condo building. This is critical in older gut-rehab condos in the neighborhoods of Chicago.
- A series of 4, brightly colored prints help brighten up the space.
- To optimize this smaller 10′ long closet, we designed and installed an Elfa closet organization system from the Container Store. By simply adding two rows of hangers and baskets, we were able to double the amount of clothes that could be stored in this closet.
- A large chest of drawers with a walnut finish and creme leather inserts grants the couple extra storage and is beautiful to look at.
- A small mid-century modern accent chair provides a place to sit while getting dressed in the morning.